Our Mission "To glorify God, demonstrating Jesus' love to Gig Harbor and beyond, so that all may live fully...
...in the presence of God
...by the power of God
...for the purposes of God!"
Staff Pastor - Paul Jones
Secretary - Christine Iverson
Elders - Bob Collier, Huey Long, Pastor Paul Jones
Church Clerk - Diane Felthouse
Media Technician - Donald Felthouse
Webmaster - Cathy Hains
Outreach/Backpacks For Kids Rep - Wayne Lopez
Youth Ministry Joanne Monstream
Moderator Wayne Lopez
Worship - Jean Kinnaman
Small Groups - Joanne Montstream
Outreach - Brad and Cathy Hains
Finance - Jean Roberton
Fellowship/Care - Chris Iverson
Facilities - Don Iverson
At Peninsula Baptist, our approach is simple: We want to love God more, we want to love people more, and we want to love more people. We believe in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and embrace the belief that one cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven without acknowledging and loving Him. We seek to accomplish these things by placing intentional priority to worship, small groups and outreach. In worship, we connect with God. In Small Groups we connect with others. In outreach, we connect with the community.
1954 - Peninsula Baptist Church had its beginnings when a small group began holding worship services in the old Bethel Lutheran Church building on Point Fosdick under the leadership of Rev. Edwin Coy. A few months later a group acting as trustees met at the home of Ben Packard and discussed beginning incorporation procedures and purchasing the church building and property. They agreed to pay Rev. Coy $25.00 a month to preach and that they would be an independent Baptist church. The name would be - Peninsula Baptist Church. Present were: Roy Harlow, Chairman, Ben Packard, Mr. Gross, Ray Hedman, and Rev. Coy. Charter Sunday was held on April 4, 1954. They purchased the old Lutheran church building on Pt. Fosdick and soon added a Sunday school room at the back. There were problems with the building: no running water, no indoor facilities, very little parking space, and in later years, a leaky roof. The oil heater was so bad they had to replace it immediately.
1956 - Peninsula Baptist joined American Baptist Churches (USA).
1958 - In 1958 Rev. Coy resigned to make way for a full time minister. The congregation at this time applied for membership to the American Baptist Convention. With financial help from the American Baptist Convention and the First Baptist Church of Tacoma, Rev. Jerald Sutton was called to be their first full time pastor.
During this time the church began looking for property on which to locate a new church. They eventually purchased ten acres of land fronting on Highway 16.
1967 - The congregation began to move forward with their plans to build a new church building on their property On May 14, 1967, the groundbreaking ceremony was held at the property Lew Dennison, chairman of the building committee, turned the first spadeful of dirt. The dream was becoming a reality. Members and friends did much of the clearing of the property and the finishing work. On December 3, 1967, the first worship service was held in the new building. Christmas was a joyous time that year. The dedication service took place on January 14, 1968. They now had running water, ‘indoor’ facilities, a nursery, a kitchen, Sunday school rooms, a pastor’s study, a furnace and adequate parking. It was a time of thanksgiving. Later that year after Rev. Richard’s resignation as pastor to return to school, Rev, Philip Graf became the third full-time pastor.